Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Do You Wanna Date My Avatar?

While we were talking about avatars in class today, all I could think of was this (excellent) video by The Guild (I'm a little obsessed) in which they sing a song called "Do You Wanna Date My Avatar" and it's excellent. If you watch The Guild, you know that all the costumes in the video are the players' avatars from The Game, the generic MMORPG that acts as the catalyst for Felicia Day's gamer webseries. Some lyrics that I always think about when I watch the video are "she's hotter than reality by far" and "you'll never see my actual face" and "if you think i'm not the one, log off and we'll be done." All of these lyrics have to do with the disconnect between reality/the user and fantasy/the avatar, and it's interesting to note the different language used and the idea that women are insecure gamers too and could benefit from the disconnect, the anonymousness of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment