Thursday, October 25, 2012

Why is Tetris so Addicting?



When I was in high-school, all I did was Tetris (well technically n-blox). In class, n-blocks, during free periods, n-blox, at home watching tv, n-blox. I got pretty good, and once played a single game while listening to the entire Lupe Fiasco's "The Cool" album. I got to level 102, and was nerdly proud... took a screen shot and all. It got to the point where I would close my eyes before bed and see tetris blocks falling. Apparently this is a shared experience among many tetris-ers. Its such an addicting and fun game, and one of its best features is that it never ends, it just keeps going. I love it, and so do so many others, but why do so many of us love it? and become addicted? this article has some reasons as to why it may appeal to our inner longing for order:

Tetris Addiction

1 comment:

  1. Nick,

    I've wondering the same thing about Tetris specifically, but have you noticed that a lot of the classic 80s games are that way?

    My addiction was Flicky, which I've posted about before on the blog, and it's another seemingly simple game, but is easy to never stop playing.

    I also feel this way about Ms. Pac Man, Galaga, and Donkey Kong (especially). I'm willing to drop a few quarters anytime to get into it.

    ReplyDelete