Friday, September 28, 2012

Gaming Nostalgia

I think it's interesting to note how nostalgia plays into the games people like.  Take, for example, the Legend of Zelda series.  Even though the newer ones have more advanced graphics and gameplay, I always prefer the Ocarina of Time.  I recently bought Skyward Sword for the Wii, and while it was an entertaining game in general I didn't get quite the same enjoyment as I do when I play on the N64.  The only reason I can think of for this is that my nostalgia trumps any desire to play through a new story or experience better graphics or controls.

I think a lot of current gaming culture is based on this idea, especially since there's a lot of gamers who only play older games.  What are some examples of this that you have seen?  Or some counter examples if you disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment