Thursday, November 29, 2012

Gamer language

I've found our conversation in Lecture last Tuesday pretty interesting with game semiotics and language used, particularly about how some gamer language has transferred into our everyday language. We mentioned the word PWNED but I'd like to include others I recognized as well.
Here goes:
GG - I don't know if this is within just the Asian community (and I mean Asians that grew up in Asia) but I sometimes hear my Asian friends use GG to describe an unfavorable end of a moment or event by some degree of failure.
      For example: - Two Asian kids walked out of the exam hall after a ridiculously hard exam. One of them turns to the other, shakes his head and says "GG".
                           - After spending hours in the mall searching for the dress his girlfriend wanted him to buy for her birthday, he says "Okay I give up I'm outta here, GG."

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER - In message boards usually in internet forums, when someone breaks a chain of people repeating the same phrase, it is considered a c-c-c-combo breaker. This phrase came from Killer Instinct in which you could stop someone's combo right then and there.
    For example:
Sheila: I'm just saying, guys are generally terrible at keeping their apartments clean.
Jack: WOAH!
John: WOAH!
Jacob: WOAH!
Chris: I. AM. OFFENDED.
Jess: c-c-c-combo breaker!

This term could be used more generally though when a chain of posts is broken.
Example:
Jenna says: I
Jenna says: l
Jenna says: o
Jenna says: v
Jenna says: e
Jenna says: y
David says: C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
Jenna says: What the f*** is your problem?! You always do that!

Any other examples guys?

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking about gamer speech the other day. I know that when I was a kid I would hear noob and pwned A. LOT. while playing online.
    I think what might be more interesting is the general degradation of game play online through the headsets of the players. Instead of developing their own language, many gamers resort to nasty sexist, racist, and homophobic slurs. I know that most gamers attribute that to younger kids trying to act tough online, but I'd love to know where the root of that problem is coming from, or where such a perverse idea of speech came from.

    ReplyDelete