Thursday, November 29, 2012

Todays Lecture: Significance of Plot in Video Games

Do I think video games is a good vehicle for storytelling? It can be.
I don't think it was fair to generalize everything like we did in lecture. In some cases, true, the game was specifically made just for the enjoyment and spectacle, the plot was just a means of obtaining that. But some games have the craft of storytelling in it and I believe they deserve some recognition. Blizzard is one such game company that pays attention to the storyline of their games. Come on, who doesn't think the story of the betrayal of Illidan and the frozen Lich King is amazing? The intricate details to the plot and character development is more than evident. Starcraft also has a wonderful storyline that contains deep underlying motifs and themes. I specifically watch my brother play the campaign mode just so I know how the story goes, and I know I'm not the only one. I don't actually play the game, but I want to know what happens in the story.
So yes, there are some games where the story is more than just a drugged piece of meat.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. The only reason that Bioshock is my favorite game of all time is because its story and atmosphere were amazing.

    ReplyDelete